Thursday, October 2, 2014

Smash Bros. Countdown - #1 - Mario Series

Here we are, the final day of the countdown. These last ten days have been a fun reminder of why I love the Smash Bros. series in the first place. Every franchise is filled with memorable characters, locations and music. The Mario series has all three of these things in abundance.

I couldn't even begin to talk about all of the different games, since there are, like,  a fucking million. He's been a hero, a villain, a tennis player, a golfer, a basketball player, a construction worker, a doctor, a party goer, he's been paper, he's taught typing, and he's even been to space.


He is his own rocket, powered by his severe success.

He's excelled in just about every genre, he's obviously a platforming legend, he's done sports, he drives, he's starred in several RPGs, he's been in fighting games, he's even had a shooter.


Yes, that's a bazooka.

There's not a lot that can be said about the 'stache king of video games. So I guess I'll just sort of rant.

Nintendo is basically the Disney of video games and Mario is it's Mickey. Like Mickey, Mario's face has been plastered on all sorts of merchandise. He's got toys, shirts, school supplies, even plates have the guy's face.


It's a me, breakfast.

Mario isn't the only one who basks in this popularity. Again, like Mickey, he has a huge cast of characters.


 It was unfortunate that they all had to get their heads cut off and put here.


The most important characters one would find in the Mushroom Kingdom, are Luigi, Mario's younger brother, Princess Peach, the monarch of the land, and Bowser, the leader of the Koopa Troop and the arch nemesis of Mario.

deviantart
The Mushroom Kingdom wax museum is weird.

A couple other characters to note are Wario, Mario's greedy rival and Waluigi, the Luigi version.


Just gangster.

Let's face it. If you're reading this, chances are you know all about the Mario cast of characters and the things they do. Mario is frigging everywhere. It's hard not to know him. You've played a game with him in it, I guarantee. 


Did you ever see THIS though!?

That's an official render by the way. They're for promotional materials for the next model of 3DS in Japan.

Well, I think we're done. Mario covers basically every aspect of Nintendo and if I wanted to honestly look at the series, I'd never stop typing. I'm also so freaking pumped for Smash Bros, that I can barely focus, so that's affecting this article.

I guess all I'd like to convey is that the Mario games are some of the purest gaming experiences you will ever have. If game has Mario in it, you know that the game isn't gonna have stupid bullshit in it. You know you're gonna have a game that is all about fun gameplay. There's no deep or hidden meaning, it's just a game in the most literal sense of the word, and you are going to have a blast.

In the no bullshit game Smash Bros. 3DS, Mario is lending himself, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina, who is a character from Super Mario Galaxy, Bowser, and Bowser's son, Bowser Jr. as playable characters. That is seven Mario characters. That's a ton. 

There's also a bunch of stages Mario is familiar with. We get 3D Land, based on areas from Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS. There's Golden Plains, based on New Super Mario Bros 2, also for 3DS. We got Rainbow Road from Mario Kart 7, again a 3DS game. There's a stage called Mushroomy Kingdom, a stage modeled directly after world 1-1 from the original Super Mario Bros. Finally there's a stage just called Paper Mario, based on the Paper Mario series.


Sweet balls, this comes tomorrow.

So that's the countdown. We've seen all kinds of Nintendo based goodness and hopefully I showed you something you didn't know and it made you try a new game. That's really what I wanted to do, show you a bunch of Nintendo, and tell you what it means to me.

So now Smash Bros. comes out tomorrow. I'm so excited to start the next chapter of my Nintendo journey. It'll have all of my favorite characters and series and then some. So hopefully I'll see you guys online and, I feel you should do this with every Nintendo game, have fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment